What size is a standard bathroom?
A standard bathroom size is a term that can refer to different bathroom types. Each bathroom type has a standard size. Here’s a table of standard bathroom sizes for each type:
|Master bathrooms||40 square feet (3.7 square meters)||60 square feet (5.6 square meters).||160 square feet (14.9 square meters)|
|Full Bathrooms||36 square feet (3.3 square meters)||40 square feet (3.7 square meters)||110 square feet (10.2 square meters)|
|Three quarter bathrooms||18 square feet (1.7 square meters)||36 square feet (3.3 square meters).||50 square feet (4.6 square meters)|
|Half bathrooms||12 square feet (1.1 square meters)||18 square feet (1.7 square meters).||32 square feet (3 square meters)|
|Quarter bathrooms||9 square feet (0.8 square meters)||12 square feet (1.1 square meters).||15 square feet (1.4 square meters).|
|Jack and Jill bathrooms||40 square feet (3.7 square meters)||65 square feet (6 square meters).||100 square feet (9.3 square meters).|
|ADA bathrooms||60 square feet (5.6 square meters)||100 square feet (9.3 square meters)||150 square feet (13.9 square meters).|
Types of Bathrooms: Average Bathroom Size & Standard Dimensions
Bathrooms come in all shapes and sizes.
We differentiate between different bathroom types by:
- Number of the main fixtures in the bathroom. The 4 main fixtures are: Toilet, Sink, Bathtub, and Shower
- Bathroom’s purpose. (Private, Shared, for guests, etc.)
Let’s break down each type in more detail so you can make the most of your space.
What’s a Full Bathroom?
A full bathroom has all four main fixtures: a toilet, a sink, a shower, and a bathtub.
A full bathroom is often attached to the master bedroom, but it can also be located any place in the house.
We will discuss master bathrooms later in this article.
Average Full Bathroom Size & Dimensions
The average full bathroom size is about 40 square feet (3.7 square meters)
It can range from 36 square feet (3.3 square meters) to over 110 square feet (10.2 square meters), according to NBKA guidelines
Full Bathroom Layouts & Floor Plans
Here’s an example of a full bathroom with all four main fixtures:
What is a master bathroom?
A master bathroom is a private bathroom attached to the master bedroom (The main bedroom of the house)
It is usually the most luxurious bathroom in the house, as we design it for homeowners comfort.
A master bathroom may have a toilet, a sink, a shower, a bathtub, or a combination of these fixtures. Some master bathrooms may have extra features like:
- Double sinks
- Vanity units
- Walk-in closets
- Jacuzzi tubs
- Steam showers
A master bathroom is sometimes called an ensuite, which means “in the room” in French.
Average Master Bathroom Size & Dimensions (Ensuite)
The average master bathroom size is about 60 square feet (5.6 square meters).
It can range from 40 square feet (3.7 square meters) for a small master bathroom to over 160 square feet (14.9 square meters) for a luxurious one.
Three-Quarter bathroom (Guest Bathrooms)
What is a three quarter bathroom?
A three-quarter bathroom is a partial bathroom. It has three out of four main fixtures: a toilet, a sink, and a shower, but no bathtub.
Because guests use it so often, a three-quarter bathroom is also known as a guest bathroom.
Average Three-Quarter bathroom size & dimensions (Guest Bathrooms)
The average size of a three-quarter bathroom is about 36 square feet (3.3 square meters).
A three-quarter bathroom can be smaller or larger than the average. For example, it can be as small as 18 square feet (1.7 square meters) or as large as 50 square feet (4.6 square meters) — or even more!
Three Quarter Bathroom Layouts & Floor Plans
There are many possible layouts and floor plans for a three-quarter bathroom. Here are some of the most popular ones:
Half bathroom (Powder Room)
What is a half bathroom?
A half bathroom is a small bathroom that has only two out of the four essential fixtures: a toilet and a sink. (also known as a powder room)
Unlike a full bathroom, it does not have a shower or a bathtub.
A half bathroom serves as a convenient and accessible restroom for guests.
Average Half bathroom size & dimensions (Powder Bathrooms)
The average size of a half bathroom is about 18 square feet (1.7 square meters).
Half bathrooms can be as small as 12 square feet (1.1 square meters) or as large as 32 square feet (3 square meters)
Half Bathroom Layouts & Floor Plans
The most common shape for a half bathroom is rectangular.
As it allows for a convenient arrangement of the fixtures. Here are some examples of half bathroom floor plans.
Quarter Bathroom (Toilet)
What is a quarter bathroom?
A quarter bathroom is the simplest and the smallest of all bathroom types.
It has only one essential fixture: a toilet. It does not have a sink, a shower, or a bathtub.
A quarter bathroom is also called a toilet room.
Quarter Bath Sizes and Dimensions (Toilet)
The average size of a quarter bathroom in the US is about 12 square feet (1.1 square meters).
Quarter bathrooms can be as small as 9 square feet (0.8 square meters) or as large as 15 square feet (1.4 square meters).
Quarter Bathroom Layouts & Floor Plans
Quarter Bathroom layouts are simple, with just enough space for the toilet and a door.
Jack and Jill Bathroom
What is a Jack and Jill bathroom?
A Jack and Jill bathroom is a shared bathroom that connects two adjacent bedrooms — usually occupied by siblings.
It has two doors that allow each bedroom to access the bathroom directly and privately.
A Jack and Jill bathroom can include various fixtures, such as a toilet, a sink, a shower, a bathtub, or a combination of them.
Some Jack and Jill bathrooms also have extra features, such as:
- double sinks
- vanity units
- separate zones for different functions
Average Jack and Jill bathroom size & dimensions
The average size of a Jack and Jill bathroom is about 65 square feet (6 square meters).
Jack and Jill bathrooms can be smaller or larger.
It can range from 40 square feet (3.7 square meters) to 100 square feet (9.3 square meters).
Quarter Bathroom Layouts & Floor Plans
There are many possible layouts and floor plans for a Jack and Jill bathroom. Here are some layout configurations for Jack and Jill Bathrooms:
ADA Bathroom (Accessible Bathrooms)
What is an ADA bathroom?
An ADA bathroom is a bathroom that complies the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). — ADA is a law protects the rights and accessibility of people with disabilities.
An ADA bathroom make it easier and safer for wheelchair users, elders, or people with injuries.
Average ADA Bathroom Size & Dimensions (Accessible Bathrooms)
The average size of an ADA bathroom is about 100 square feet (9.3 square meters).
ADA bathrooms can be as small as 60 square feet (5.6 square meters) or as large as 150 square feet (13.9 square meters).
Bathroom Features and Sizes
The bathroom has four main fixtures: a vanity, a toilet, a bathtub, and a shower.
Understanding the standard dimensions of these fixtures will help maximize your space.
Standard Toilet Dimensions, Sizes, and Clearance
- The Standard Toilet Height is 15 inches (38 cm) from the floor to the top of the seat.
- The standard toilet width is 18 inches (46 cm) measured from one side of the tank to the other.
- The standard toilet length is 27–30 inches (69–76 cm). There are also elongated toilets that are 31–32 inches (79–81 cm) for added comfort.
Toilet clearance is the smallest space needed around a toilet for comfortable access.
The standard toilet clearance is 15 inches (38 cm) from the center of the toilet bowl to the nearest wall or object. And it is 21 inches (53 cm) from the front of the toilet bowl to the nearest wall or object.
|A||24″ Min||61 Min|
|B||12 Min||30.5 Min|
|C||12 Min||30.5 Min|
|D||12 Min||30.5 Min|
Standard Shower Dimensions, Sizes and Clearance
- The standard shower height is 72 inches (183 cm), measured from the floor to the top of the shower head.
- The standard shower width is 36 inches (91 cm). There are also smaller models that are 32 inches (81 cm) or larger ones with a width of 48 inches (122 cm) or more.
- The standard shower length is 36 inches (91 cm). Just like width, Shower length can be larger or smaller.
Standard Shower Clearance
The standard shower clearance is 24 inches (61 cm) from the shower edge to the nearest wall or fixture.
Standard Vanity Dimensions, Sizes and Clearance
Vanities are multifunctional bathroom fixtures that provide storage, counter space, and sinks. The standard vanity dimensions are:
- The standard vanity height is 32 inches (81 cm), but I recommend you go with 36 inches (91 cm) high for more comfort.
- The standard vanity width is 24 inches (61 cm).
- The standard vanity depth ranges from 18 inches or 46 cm to 25 inches or 61 cm.
Standard Bathroom Vanity Clearance
The standard bathroom vanity clearance is 15 inches (38 cm) from the center of the sink to the nearest wall. And it is 24 inches (61 cm) from the front edge of the counter to the nearest wall or fixture.
Bathtub Dimensions, Sizes and Clearance
Bathtubs are luxurious bathroom fixtures that provide a relaxing and soothing experience. The standard bathtub dimensions are:
- The standard bathtub height is 14-17 inches (36-43 cm).
- The standard bathroom width is 30 inches (76 cm). Some bathtubs are narrower (28 inches or 71 cm) or wider (32 inches or 81 cm). A narrower bathtub can help save space in a small bathroom, while a wider bathtub can offer more comfort.
- The standard bathtub length is 60 inches (152 cm). some bathtubs are shorter (48-54 inches or 122-137 cm) or longer (66-72 inches or 168-183 cm).
Standard Bathtub Clearance:
The standard bathtub clearance is 24 inches (61 cm) from the front edge of the tub to the nearest wall or fixture.
Standard Bathroom Door Sizes and Dimensions
The standard bathroom door sizes and dimensions are:
- The Standard Bathroom Width is 28 inches (71 cm). You can choose narrower or broader doors, depending on your needs and the space you have. The minimum bathroom door width is 24 inches (61 cm)
- The standard bathroom door height ranges from 84 inches (213 cm) to 96 inches (244 cm). The minimum height of a bathroom door is 78 inches (198 cm) or 80 inches (203 cm), depending on your local building codes.
Standard Bathroom Door Clearance:
When you are installing a bathroom door, you need to consider the following factors:
- The door should be able to swing freely without hitting any fixtures. To ensure this, leave enough space between the door edge and the nearest item when the door is open at a 90-degree angle. The standard clearance for a bathroom door is 4 inches (10 cm).
- The bathroom should have enough room for a person to move around comfortably. The recommended minimum width for a bathroom walkway is 28 inches (70 cm).
Standard Bathroom Window Sizes and Dimensions
Bathroom windows are vital as they provide natural light and ventilation.
- The standard bathroom window width is 24 inches (61 cm), and the minimum width is 18 inches (46 cm). You can go wider depending on your needs.
Beyond Bathroom Standard Dimensions
Standard dimensions are a great starting point, but not all bathrooms are identical.
Customize your bathroom layout and fixtures to suit your needs and preferences. Be creative and original—it’s your bathroom, after all!