Hello there! As an interior designer, I have come across many different styles, but I have to say that the Japandi style is one of my favorites, especially japandi bedrooms!
In this blog post, I’m excited to share everything you need to know about Japandi style:
- The elements of Japandi style
- How to incorporate Japanese design elements into your space with a step-by -step Japandi bedroom example
From color schemes and furniture choices to lighting and accessories, I’ve got everything you need to know to create a serene and beautiful Japandi bedroom that promotes relaxation, mindfulness, and overall well-being.
Let’s start by asking, “What is the Japandi style?”
What is Japandi Style?
Japandi style is an interior design style that combines the minimalism of Japanese design and the warmth and functionality of Scandinavian decor. Japandi’s style trend has become increasingly popular, particularly in the bedroom. It’s peaceful and insanely beautiful, which is what every bedroom needs.
Japandi Style Elements
There are five essential elements of Japandi interiors:
- Minimalism & Simplicity: At the core, the Japandi style values simplicity and minimalism. This principle means prioritizing functionality and eliminating clutter. A Japandi-space should feel a spacious, uncluttered, and calming atmosphere.
- Natural Materials: Use raw materials like wood, stone, and bamboo. These materials add warmth and texture to the space, creating a connection to nature.
- Neutral Colors: Use raw materials like wood, stone, and bamboo. These materials add warmth and texture to the space, creating a connection to nature.
- Coziness: Although Japandi’s design is minimalistic, it doesn’t mean that it can’t be cozy. Use Soft textures like wool, cotton, and linen to create warmth and comfort.
- Wabi-Sabi: East cultures see Perfection in imperfection. So, the Japandi style embraces the same philosophy by incorporating handmade, imperfect, or vintage items into the space. — These elements add character and personality to your space, making it unique and inviting.
These elements are what make up the Japandi style. Let’s now apply them to designing a japandi bedroom.
A 7-Step Guide to Japandi Bedrooms
When I design an interior space, the first thing I think about is colors and materials.
Let’s start by colors.
1️⃣ Japandi Style Colors
Bring Japandi style into your japandi bedroom by selecting a neutral color scheme. Think of soft, muted colors that blend well and create a cohesive look.
Feeling stuck on creating a cohesive color scheme? Check out my practical guide to the 60-30-10 color rule and achieve a stunning design in no time
2️⃣ Japandi Style Materials
Natural Materials are an essential element in Japandi design — Like what?
Wood, bamboo, and stone are popular choices as they add warmth and texture to the space, creating a connection to nature.
You can use wooden furniture, bamboo blinds, or imperfect stone accents.
3️⃣ Japandi Style Textiles
You can bring the coziness element of the Japandi style to your japandi bedroom through textiles. Like?
Soft textures like wool, cotton, and linen are perfect for creating a cozy and inviting space.
Consider putting a chunky knit throw blanket or a linen duvet cover on your bed to add comfort and warmth.
💡 Personal Insight: Less is more when it comes to Japandi colors and materials.
4️⃣ Japandi Style Layout
The layout of a Japandi style has to be peaceful and calm.
💡 Personal Insight: you should consider the rules of Feng Shui when arranging your furniture to create a balanced and harmonious space.
In our japandi bedroom example:
We’ll use Feng Shui by putting the bed against a solid wall, away from the door and windows, to make the room feel safe and stable.
Make sure your bed is easily accessible from both sides, and leave enough space around it for comfortable movement.
5️⃣ Japandi Style Furniture
Don’t forget that the Japandi style is minimal and functional. Look for furniture with simple shapes and clean, straight lines.
Also, don’t put unnecessary furniture or decorations in your japandi bedroom.
Lighting is a vital part of any interior design space. In our Japandi bedroom, we want to create a calming atmosphere. You can achieve this by:
- Avoid harsh or bright lighting, which can be too stimulating and break up the peace of the space. Instead, use soft, warm lighting to create a calming and soothing atmosphere.
- Allow natural light to flood the room. You can do this by using light, sheer curtains, or blinds. Letting natural light flow into your space will create a connection with the outside world and add peace to your interior space.
- Focus on Quality over Quantity: In Japandi style, quality > quantity. Choose well-made, high-quality lighting instead of cheap, disposable items.
Now that you’ve got the basics of Japandi style down pat, it’s time to add your personal touch to your japandi bedroom. Here are some ideas for making your Japandi-inspired space your own:
- Bring life and color to your japandi bedroom by adding plants. Choose plants with clean lines and little foliage, such as snake or fiddle leaf figs.
- Include art, but keep in mind that Japandi style is all about simplicity, so choose art for your japandi bedroom that has a clean and simple design. 💡 Personal Insight: you should consider abstract art.
- Add Personal Touches: Japandi style is all about simplicity, but that doesn’t mean you can’t add your touches to make the space feel like yours. Think about putting up family photos, your favorite book, or a piece of decor you picked up on your travels.
1️⃣ Get in the Mood
Want to feel like creating some japandi? Listen to this curated playlist that will transport you to a state of relaxation and harmony.
2️⃣ Japandi Apartment Tour
Looking to get more inspired by Japandi design? Check out our video tour of a stunning Japandi apartment
In conclusion, creating Japandi Style is about simplicity, harmony, and balance. You can get the perfect mix of Japanese and Scandinavian design by using neutral colors, natural materials, minimalist furniture, a thoughtful layout, and personalized accessories.
Remember, the key to making a Japandi bedroom is to focus on the beauty of simplicity and let each element shine on its own. The Japandi style is about making a peaceful and relaxing space, so don’t add too many decorations or bright colors.
Using the tips and ideas in this article, you can make a beautiful, peaceful space that helps you relax, be more aware, and feel at peace. So, take your time, try different things, and have fun making your unique Japandi Space.